Tuesday, June 28, 2011

This Place Where I Am Happy

THIS PLACE WHERE I AM HAPPY


The dark spreads its palm
From nowhere to nowhere,
Outside, the frozen crust
Of the barnyard spangles
Under the arclight. Snow
Captions fences neatly.
Each footprint jails a shadow.

The horses stamp in their straw,
Muzzles a penumbra
Of crystal, breath white balloons
In which no language hovers.
Their droppings golden stones,
Eyes of dreamy amber. The cinder block walls
Sparkle as cold bites through
Sinking red and congealed
In the window-hung bulb.

The black wind hurts my face
As I trudge houseward tugging the metal pail
That dances empty from its bail.

Nothing cries from rooftops
Or circles out of trees.
Cats huddle in the loft
Frostnipped ears rounding
To the horses’ even breaths
And the shift of massive haunches.

I halt, set down the pail
In a white expanse that is perfect
As long as I do not move.

South Dakota Review

No comments:

Post a Comment